This our New Variant. Science is our life. MEDSCIENCE is nothing but medicine science of body and it’s environment. We from now share new scientific facts and mythbusters that make your life ease and more healthy because that must be our atmost priority. Here we begin with some,
1.Raw egg Vs Boiled egg.
Most of you might eat up raw egg thinking it’s more nutritious and healthy but here are the facts that would amaze you.
• Raw egg if unpasteurised could cause illness. Because it may have got contaminated from salmonella in poultry farms causing salmonellosis that manifests as diarrhoea, fever, vomiting and abdominal cramps.
• In the egg white of a raw egg exists a protein called Avidin. This Avidin present in the raw egg inhibits vitamin biotin absorption in the gut.
• Biotin helps in fat and carbohydrates metabolism which is decreased due to Avidin. Which in turn impairs insulin function, worsening blood sugar management.
• On boiling egg, Avidin protein denatures and loses its inhibitory function thus does not interfere with biotin absorption.
Benefits of boiled egg.
•Also called reference protein, because it has Net Protein Utilisation (NPU)= 100%
• NPU in simple words is the amount of protein retained in our body from the food we eat. This means all the protein from the egg you get is utilised completely by the body. Compared to NPU(meat)=80% , NPU(milk)=75%.
• It contains all the 9 essential amino acids.
• one 60g egg has- 6g protein, 6g fat, 1.5mg iron energy-70kcal,
minerals like calcium, phosphorus, zinc, iron.
• Most of us are afraid to eat egg yolk solely because of the cholesterol(250mg/egg) it contains. But this quantity is never a problem when the body itself synthesises fat endogenously which is unavoidable.
• Apart from cholesterol it also contains all the vitamins and minerals mentioned above which are considerably important as much as protein.
So, next time boil the egg before you eat. Then, before you throw egg yolk away, give it a second thought.
2.Hot shower Vs Cold shower.
Are you confused as much as I’m, to go with hot or cold showers?. Here are some facts that might help you to choose.
• Hot water reduces blood pressure by causing vasodilation.
• It increases body temperature causing release of Heat Shock Protein(HSP72). It blocks insulin resistance caused by inflammatory mediators. Thus, controlling the blood sugar level.
• It relaxes muscles, relieving you from stress. At the same time, it makes you lazy. So it acts as a double edged sword, relieves you from stress by giving you a sound sleep when taken at the end of your day. Also makes you drowsy in class if taken in the morning.
• It also directly damage the root of your hair causing hair fall.
• It causes dry skin by washing away the moisture present on the skin.
• Biologically, testes are held in the scrotum outside the body cavity to maintain optimum temperature(1-2 degree Celsius) lesser than normal body temperature required for spermatogenesis. Hot water causes rise in body temperature affecting spermatogenesis which in turn reduces sperm count.
• Some studies show hot water causes calorie burn upto 140kcal. This might not be directly related to hot water. Instead it can be due to physical activity needed to take shower. Cool, I’m being sarcastic!.
Taking cold shower may sound scary but here are some benefits:
• It makes you more alert by increasing sympathetic activity.
• study shows, it boosts immune system
• Relieves depression by releasing neurotransmitters like endorphins and norepinephrine elevate your mood.
• Reduces inflammation and pain by vasoconstriction of cutaneous blood vessels causing more blood supply to deeper structures.
• Cold water decreases body temperature. Body tries to maintain it by burning brown fat. This, although insignificant, causes loss of weight.
By now you know everything about hot and cold shower, choose accordingly.
3.Polished rice (Milled rice/ White rice) Vs Unpolished rice (Raw rice/Brown rice).
We all avoid eating rice because many of us are unaware of the benefits. We also blame poor rice because of weight gain although it isn’t a sole cause.
• Polished rice lacks bran layer which is rich in nutritional value and it is left with a core composed of carbohydrates.
• Bran layer contains – Fibres, B-vitamins and Minerals.
Benefits of Raw rice
• It is rich in
1)Selenium– which reduces the risk of developing common illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, and arthritis.
2) Manganese– one cup of raw rice provides 80% of our daily manganese requirements. Manganese helps the body synthesize fats. Manganese also benefits our nervous and reproductive systems.
• Promotes weight Loss – The fibre content of raw rice keeps bowel function at its peak since it makes digestion much easier. It also lacks cholesterol which is why you shouldn’t blame rice.
• It is good for heart health since it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
• It controls Blood pressure -Brown rice is better than white rice in part because brown rice is a significantly better source of minerals like potassium and magnesium which protect it from the toxic effects of salty foods.
This might have enlightened you about the raw rice we hardly care to eat. From now, you may have to replace your costly polished rice with poors’ chief source of energy i.e. raw unpolished rice.
This is enough for 2 chapter of MEDSCIENCE Lives. Hope you liked the topics which puts us in dilemma to choose routinely. Comment your opinions and questions too for next chapter.